Friday, January 24, 2014

Shelter from the Storm

Raging, the storm churns within my guts.
I struggle along in an impossible rut.
Carrying it all, convinced that I’m strong,
But the burdens, oh they prove me wrong.

The weight of the world upon my back,
I have to set it down, stack by stack.
Setting it all up in a nice little row,
I realize my walls are beginning to grow.

I wasn’t aware when I tore them down,
That I would have to carry all of it around.
I’m tired now and I must take a rest,
Can’t stand any more weight on my chest.

I tried to put it off, but it’s time again,
To build up my walls and lock myself in.
It’s not safe outside, the storms make me cry.
I must be my own shelter, safe inside.

I’m the only one who can let myself down,
No synergy with others who come around.
No dependence, disappointment, or need.
I must belong to myself, my own hero indeed.

No comments: